Well, things are well on the way to getting the home theater up to speed (mainly by using iPad applications and AppleTVs to control things), so now onto home audio. There is also a big change here:
- Airport Express. This is a $99 device that pushes out just audio. It is perfect for attaching existing home audio systems to your iOS devices.
- Airplay speakers. There are so many more speakers now that in effect have the Airport Express attaches, so you can hook it to any Wifi network and then use any iOS or iTunes system and play over this which is great.
- AppleTV. If you have a home theater, then you can also use it to play music as well.
Here are some of the choices for airplay speakers as noted by ipodrepublic.com and pcmag.com have done surveys. The big issue is Airplay has dropouts because of the Wifi drop out problem on streaming.
- B&W Zeppelin Wireless Airplay. $600, PC Mag 4/5 stars editors choice. This is expensive and looks amazing and has a dock for conventional plug your iPhone in, but it also let’s you connect a remote device and play through it.
- Altec Lansing 5000 InAir Wireless Speakers. This is a dedicated speaker system that isn’t an audiophile choice, but does work. There are skipping issues of course.
- Audyssey Audiodock Air. 3.5/5 stars PC Magazine. Pretty bassy and harder to setup.
- iHome iW1 Airplay. 3.5/5 stars. PC Magazine. A simple wraparound speaker system that doesn’t have a dock, so just perfect for a small room and it is also battery powered as well.
- Klipsch Gallery G-17 Soundbar. 3.5/5 stars. This one drops out more than most.
- JBL On Air Wireless Dock. 2.5/5 stars. This is a dock, but also does wireless Airplay.
Here were some other that are listed…
- Philips Fidelio Soundcurve DS8800W
- House of Marley One Foundation.
- Philips Fidelio Soundring
- Philips Fidelio AD7000W
- Sony RDP-XA900IP. This is a dock and an airplay speaker system.
- Nocs NS2 Air.
- Loewe Air.
- Logitech Air.
- JBL On Beat.
- iTeufel Air. Another high end system.
- Sony SA-NS500 Airplay.
If you want just good sounding speakers:
- Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III. 4.5/5 PC Mag $170. but beautiful and incredible performers.