Ok if you are outfitting a new apartment, there are so many things to get, here’s a quick summary:
- Tools. Well, if you want to get fancy, you can get either a basic kit from Home Depot for $20, a bigger kit for $60 from Amazon or if you want something that will last pick from this a la carte list on The Sweet Home. Personally, I suggest the $60 kit, it comes with a nice bag and has the all important vice grip 🙂
- Commuter Bike. If you do not want to drive to work and don’t have public transportation, a good but inexpensive bicycle makes some sense. These are called urban bikes or commuter bikes and you want something that doesn’t cost much and which you won’t care about too much when the bike thief shows up. Right now with a $30 saw, even a really good bike lock last just 30 seconds, so don’t get too attached. There are some good lists at Bicycling and also Popular Mechanics. Popular Mechanics has a reasonable price and the 3 x 7 speed Raleigh Cadent 1 isn’t a bad choice for $350. While I normally say buy from a local bike shop, in this case for a lower cost item like this, Amazon isn’t a bad choice if you do not mind assembling it.
- The Best Bike Lock. You have to watch the New York Times video to see how no one cares if you steal a bike to understand how unattached you have to be. But basically a bike lock hopefully just makes a thief look for an easier target. Best choice is the Kryptonite Evolution Mini-7 and it includes a cable as well. For $69, it’s reliable and a long term choice. If you really want to be safe, buy the 15 pound (?!!) Kryptonite New York Forgettaboutit Chain which is really a name and a think for $70.
- A dining room table can be really expensive or super cheap. The Sweet Home is a good start. But if you want lower than $1,000, you can’t go wrong at Ikea with the PS 2012 and the classic Terje folding chairs. Article makes just the coolest direct order furniture like the Sena for $600. Also, if you want something simple, then you can’t go wrong with an Eames chair replica and a simple Zinuc.
- Futon sofa. This is a good choice if you are going to have guests. It is never going to as nice as a say a Article Sena sofa that The Sweet Home has reviewed but it is quite multi purpose. But this tongue-in-cheek Houzz review and there seem to be quite a few “spam” sites. The SleepJudge is another one and it happens to have a top selling Amazon bed on the list called the Novogratz Brittany.