There are some great shows to watch with the kids. Some fun and unexpected things. Discovery really has done a great job branching out…
* “Deadliest Catch”:http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/deadliestcatch/deadliestcatch.html. Documents fishing in the Alaskan seas. Man, 70 knot winds, rescues by helicopter in 40 knots with icing. Man, make snow crab seem unworth it. Great real life drama.
* “Dirty Jobs”:http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/dirtyjobs/dirtyjobs.html. Really gross jobs that people have like sewage inspector.
* “Future Weapons”:http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/future-weapons/future-weapons.html?dcitc=w99-502-ah-1015. Cool guns and things. Fun stuff
Sam and Louie were asking me where all those cool games I have on the Mac come from. I like the “Dashboard Widget Games”:http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/games/.
A great example of fun casual games.
It was a terrible week in Wyoming, I ended up losing my 70-200 lens hood and the 17-55 lens hood as well as the viewfinder rubber piece for the camera. So it is insanely expensive to buy it:
* “Canon EW83J Lens Hood for Canon 17-55 F/2.8 EF-S IS USM”:http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=207162. It is expensive but folks really tink you need it because the lense flares alot. $47 at “Digitalfotoclub.com”:http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/product-features.asp?id=964603179
* “Canon ET86 Lens Hood for Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM”:http://www.amazon.com/Canon-70-200mm-2-8L-Telephoto-Cameras/dp/B00006I53X for $48.50 or $47 from “pricegrabber”:http://cameras.pricegrabber.com/35mm-slr-lens-accessories/m/769926/search=et86/st=sort/sort_type=bottomline
* “Canon Rubber Frame EF for Digital Rebel XT”:http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rubber-Frame-Rebel-Digital/dp/B00009R6VU. $8.49
Here are some of the things that are amazing for a small business:
* “Galant Desk”:http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29806818. $200. Black-Brown. 63″x31.5″ (160cmx80cm). A-leg. In stock.
* Alternative is “Galant Oval Table”:http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19842001. $200. Glass top.
* “Galant Drawer unit”:http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30116966. On caters. 18 1/8×24 3/4″. In stock in Seattle. $160
Then in the living room and “Bar stools”:http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19842001
* “Sebastian Bar Stool”:http://www.ika.com/us/en/catalog/products/20116858. $60. Black and chrome plated. 29 1/8″. Suitable for 43 1/4″ bar height. Note this might be too high for the bar table mentioned.
* “Ektrop Tullsta Lounge Chair”:http://www.bikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69840108. $149. Natural/ldemo beige. In stock
* “Karlstad”:http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S59840383. Korndai brown. $379
* “UTBY Bar Table”:http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S69843456. 24 3/4″ chairs. 47 1/4″ x 35 5/8″. $140.
9 to 5 Mac | Apple Intelligence
We think this looks really useful, it’s a new and free service to help you get your laptop back if it is lost or stolen. Free and private solution, “Adeona”:http://adeona.cs.washington.edu/index.html launched today, put together by researchers at Washington and California (San Diego) univerisites.
This is the first Open Source system for tracking the location of your lost or stolen laptop (Mac, Linux and Windows) that does not rely on a proprietary, central service. This means that you can install Adeona on your laptop and go – there’s no need to rely on a single third party.
Well, PC World says it is just 5 hours on 3G, but that’s as good as everyone else, so here is to recharging by noon every day!
AppleInsider | iPhone 3G clarifications: battery life, GPS, office apps
Apple’s call time on 3G is much shorter than the 10 hours promised on normal GSM phone networks but has run tests it says show iPhone 3G to be the longest-lived of the 3G cellphones in its class, which includes both smartphones and high-end media phones.
In a calling test, the Apple device exceeded Apple’s own estimates and lasted for five hours and 38 minutes and just edges out the Samsung Instinct by five minutes — a statistic which doesn’t factor in the need for legacy voice support on the Instinct and other phones for CDMA-based cellular networks
Wow, at this rate of 10 apps per new iphone, this is going to be an amazing platform. The lower price I’m sure really helped. Hope I get mine soon. (Despite the short battery life and I’m going to love the white color!)
Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About
Despite long lines and activation troubles, Apple announced today that they sold its one millionth iPhone 3G on Sunday, only three days after its initial launch on Friday, July 11th. In the press release, Steve Job points out that it took 74 days to sell the same number of the original iPhone.
Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About
While Montevina’s speed upgrades are also said to be modest, it has also been rumored that Apple will be revamping the physical design of their next notebooks to bring them in line with the current iMac and MacBook Air. Recently leaked photos depicting a more tapered design of the MacBook Pro are believed to be real. Apple’s next laptops are rumored to arrive sometime during Q3 2008 (July-September).
Still have two old Linksys access points. Both a WRT-54G and it is a shame to throw them away even though the Apple Airport Extreme Base Station is easier to manage. I have loaded “DD-WRT”:http://www.dd-wrt.com which I’d recommend to anyone with the time. Way more powerful and easier to understand firmware. Strange things about it are:
* The default IP address is 192.168.1.1 so it won’t work at all on Apple which defaults to 10.0.1.1
* If you have to do a hard reset, do the 30/30/30 rule. Hold the reset button for 30 seconds, unplug while still holding reset and then plug it back in and hold reset for 30. Most won’t need anything like this but this completely resets the box if you’ve bricked it
* The default user name is root and the password is admin. You might want to change that first thing 🙂