If “Call of Duty 4”:http://www.codhq.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2831 appears to start with the intro screen and then disappears, it probably means your computer doesn’t meet minimum requirements. What an unfriendly and unclear way to handle this problem.
Here is the computer:
* AMD Athlon XP 3200+
* nVidia 5900 FX graphics adapter
* 1GB RAM
* 700GB disk free
So because it is an Athlon XP and not an Athlon 64, I think I’m hosed. The minimum requirements are according to “firingsquad”:http://www.firingsquad.com/news/newsarticle.asp?searchid=17802:
# CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.4 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported
# RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)
# Harddrive: 8GB of free hard drive space
# Video card (generic): NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 6600 or better or ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800Pro or better
I had forgotten the “differences”:http://www.computing.net/answers/cpus/xp-athlon-vs-athlon-64/10499.html but essentially the Athlon 64 is 64 bits internally.
http://remotetag.filefront.com/29;728×90;1;FFFFFF-605739. I’ve been addicted to this game for a while, but now with these mods, it gets more interesting. I’ve mainly been playing single player and here are some great mods to add:
* “Lt. Speirs Realism”:http://callofduty.filefront.com/file/LtSpeirs_Realism_Mod;55730. This mod makes things much more real. If you play Pointe Du Hoc, it feels like Private Ryan. Many more men and many more folks everywhere. It also adds the WCP Allied Pain mod and Sound Mod for better sounds and weapons. Also there is more realistic grenades adn teh AI is smarter.
* “WCP Realism”:http://callofduty.filefront.com/file/WCP_CoD2_Reality;54948. This is the other big realism modification. This one doesn’t appear compatible with Lt Speirs so try each and take your pick. This mod works best standalone and there are instructions on how to add “+set fs_fame WCP2” to your exec string to make this happen. It has cooking grenades, no names for allies, weapons tweaking, weapons sway fewer tracers,
* “Camillo Realism”:http://callofduty.filefront.com/file/Camillo_CoD2SP_Realism_Mod;56827. This makes this less like an arcade game. There are no more crosshairs, the weapons damage is more realistic and also you only have one weapon now instead of carrying two. This seems to work at least with Lt. Speirs.
The reviews of this game are correct. The first Call of Duty just blew me away with its realism. From the shake mode when artillery landed to the sounds. Now this one is just more and more people and more and more of the same. I love it just the same.
The Russian front for instance is just a sea of people. It doesn’t shock and awe you like F.E.A.R does with its graphics, etc., but it sure is arcade like fun without being totally campy like Battlefield 2 which feels more like an arcade game
Here are some sources of information:
* WEapons information. Like most modern games they don’t have any manuals, so here’s a great source for all the weapons.