I’ve had lots of issues with my old Sony VAIO VGN-140 that are described in this thread. Lots of hangs and poor performance. Lately, I’ve been having lots of problems with my D-Link 624 router. I’ve had to reboot the router twice today. Once because it wasn’t handing out DHCP addresses and another time because it was incredible slow for both wired and non wired connections. Net, net, I got a bunch of things I should have known. If you have some of these problems, maybe the really great forum at “DSL Reports”:http://dslreports.com/forum/dlink can help you:
broadband ? Forums ? Wireless Networking ? Intel pro/wireless 2200 BG Problems.. Now I fried the screen on that one and got a brand new VGN-TX600 and it seems better, a little search turned up this one. Mainly says you need to get the latest Intel driver seems to help called 184.108.40.206 that “Intel”:http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1637&lang=eng has at its download site with detailed install instructions by “funchords”:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14892601 that involves installing both Intel and Microsoft software and really cleaning other things out.
“D-Link 624 Rev C Firmware VErsion 2.71 Beta”:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14470400~days=9999. This is another thing that has been a real pain. I run with 2.70 right now and I get DHCP and other problems all the times. Early reports on this beta are that it fixes quite a few issues. My big problems have been with WPA access so that I’ve reverted to WEP 128 bit for most things. The other problem has been performance when running lots of computers. Right now I think that these are bugs and you have manually reboot.
Apparently I’m not alone, the flip to “Firmware 2.70 cause DHCP problems”:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14475750 is pretty well known. By the way, I learned how you configure a cascade of routers. The main trick is that you to make a router just a plain access point, you need to now use the WAN port. Connect the routers together using a crossover cable, then disable DHCP on all but one of the routers, but the problem is that DHCP doesn’t get passed from one box to another properly.
Last thing is that I’m now getting “IP in use”:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14391182 errors. Another well know problem.
That forum also has a great utility called “D-link Connection Monitor”:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12608281~start=200 that parses the “http://192.168.0.1/natlist.txt”:http://192.168.0.1/natlist.txt file that tells you what is going on with the router.
Finally, some folks are pretty smart about getting maximum “performance”:http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14900655~fmode=nest~days=10. Consistent advice is to disable the proprietary super-G mode since only D-link client adapters use it and to enable UPNP. Enable gaming mode (whatever that is) as this helps with BitTorrent streams. Also disable DNS relay to improve stability.
And then there is some generic advice for everyone, including me who seems to have wifi connections that bounce up and down as “Dslreports”:http://www.dslreports.com/faq/12948 describes. The main issue is corrupted profiles in your various clients. So you have to try a brand new SSID, turn everything off for 65 minutes and try again.